Skip to main content

My life in a bag

Practice run, looking pretty good!
So after many weeks of planning and list making, my life has been condensed down to what I can fit into a 65 litre backpack and a rucksack. This was one of the most stressful processes of my life but finally, 4 hours later it is done! I will be pretty much be living out of these bags for 6+ months, so what went into them was no small matter.
It might have been easier to pack if I wasn't working and travelling, or if I wasn't travelling through temperatures from -15•c to 35•c+; but I've done my best and taken the idea of layering to the next level. I'm leaving many many of my clothes at home and only taking what is now called my 'capsule travel wardrobe', oh-la-la! Translated into unpretentious language this means I'll be wearing the same outfits over and over for the next six months. Exciting isn't it?


Big coat, little bag
I won't bore anyone with the complete contents of my bag but there is one item that I think is particularly worth a mention. My puffy coat. 

Yep, that's it in that ting bag. It's one of Uniqlo's ultra light down jackets and it is literally genius! Thin enough to layer, warm enough to make a huge difference when those temperatures dip well below freezing and packs down small enough that it won't be a pain to carry around when I'm getting my tan on. Genius. I genuinely recommend one for anyone who travels ever (and here's a link for anyone who's been seduced by my advertising Ultra Light Down). 


There's actually loads of stuff I've packed that I'm actually excited about taking in a completely nerdy way. Turns out I find the idea of being able to squeeze normal sized things into a tiny bag ridiculously exciting and therefore my bag contains lots of little packages of travelling joy. So, just because I know everyone is definitely completely interested there are some other noteworthy and exciting things i'm taking with me.


  • Bumbag! Haters gonna hate but I'm personally in love with bumbags. So practical! So safe! So stylish! (...Maybe not) I've upgraded my polka dot H&M beauty to a more robust Kipling convertable number. "Convertable?!" I hear you cry. Ooh yes! Bumbag by day, shoulder bag by night, travel versatility at its best. Plus it comes with a little monkey called Davina. Everybody say "awww!"
  • Porridge! Most people hate porridge at the best of times, but I bloody love it and on those freezing cold mornings there is no better start to the day. Plus home comforts and all that... porridge is my food connection to the UK. Yum yum.
  • "Touch me..."
  • Fleece lined leggings (whaat?)!! Oh Primark, you've done it again and created something I could never imagine and therefore never realised that I needed. Warm, soft and oh so comfy; in other words perfect for China when it's freezing and for lounging when it's not. I am genuinely excited to wear these bad boys. Touch me indeed...

But as much as I have been able to pack in my little bag, there was always going to be some things I just couldn't take but really really wanted to (i'm going to miss you Monkey and hot water bottle). 

Now I've actually packed the fact that I'm actually finally going is starting to hit home. The nerves haven't kicked in yet, I'm wondering if they ever will, and the excitement is reaching hysterical levels. Although that may be more down to my copious sugar consumption as I try to get through the gargantuan tub of flying saucers from the Bake-a-boo belles, Zoe and Christine (wah, I miss the tea room already!)… Either way I am definitely excited and since there will be no more sleeping before heading to Heathrow departure day is rapidly approaching.


Looking at my bag it feels exciting and kind of nice not  to have so much stuff. I didn't realise before how much stuff I have that,

a) I didn't remember I had,
b) I don't like so never wear/use and,
c) I do like but just never ever wear/use for various reasons.

It seems silly to keep all these useless belongings but I am just such a hoarder. I still have make up sets I was given when I was 13, all my cringe worthy old diaries, books I actively dislike, very specific shaped lightbulbs to lamps that have made it out of my hoarders nest...I think you get the point, I have a lot of crap. But maybe living out of a bag will free me from my hoarding and inspire a massive clear out when I get back. We'll see, that seems like a world away at the moment. Right now I'm a little turtle with my life on my back, ready to start an adventure; and as I try my bag on for the first time my worldly possessions for the next 6+ months just feel heavy. Very heavy. I think I'm going to need a Sherpa to carry my life around for me...




Comments