Skip to main content

China, in 10 photos.

After seven weeks of travelling around China I amassed hundreds of photos of all the amazing and beautiful places and things that we've seen.
It can be overwhelming to think about how much we really saw in a relatively short space of time, but looking back over my photos I am reminded how lucky I am to have seen so much of a country as diverse and amazing as China. 
While travelling it's hard to take everything that you see in but, now I am back in China and settling into life in Yinchuan, it's fun to look back and really appreciate where we've been. 

I went through my hundreds of photos and tried to pick my favourite 50 photos that would represent our travels and everything we've seen; I couldn't settle on 50, so I upped the number to 60. Some of them may have been posted either here on the blog, on Facebook, or on Instagram but that's because they are my favourite photos and I enjoy looking at them and the theory is other people may too! Then, luckily for anyone that reads this, I recognised that 60 photos is quite a lot to have in one post so I decided to go for a different angle - my favourite photo from each of the places we visited. Ten places, ten photos, countless memories but much more manageable for all involved! 
So here they are, my 10 favourite photos from our travels in China between 18/06/2014 and 03/08/2014!

Shanghai 上海

The toilet restaurant...who would want to forget going to a toilet themed restaurant where you sit in toilets, eat out of urinal shaped bowls and have plastic turds in the middle of your table? Not me!


Hangzhou 杭州


I loved this Buddha statue, the happy Buddha being clambered on by dozens of tiny children is just too adorable. 


Xiamen and Gulang Yu 厦门和鼓浪屿

China is a fun, colourful and exciting country and, to me, that is what this photo shows. The absolute energy and vibrancy of the country continues to surprise and delight me this long after arriving, that's one of the reasons that I love China so much.


Fujian Tulou 附件土楼

The tulous were amazing buildings, that showed us a little part of a dying way of life in Fujian.


Yangshuo 阳朔

In a traditional minority outfit at the Longdi 龙滴 rice terraces.


Zhangjiajie 张家界

I have dozens of photos that show how ethereal Zhangjiajie is, but I didn't choose any of them. I think that sometimes it's important to take a step back from all the beautiful things that you've seen to appreciate the wonderful people that you saw these things with. 


Kunming 昆明

The dwarf kingdom in Kunming was one of the most bizarre places I've ever been to, and an excellent example of how things can get miscommunicated or exaggerated so easily in China. This place definitely wasn't what we were expecting! Was it worth the detour? Maybe, just for the memories.


Chengdu 成都

Not in actual Chengdu, but Leshan and it's giant Buddah had to knock even the panda from the top spot for out time in the area. Leshan is an epic place and I would gladly spend many more days exploring. Plus, the giant Buddah in Leshan started my slight obsession with giant Buddahs!


Xi'an 西安

Of course, the Terracotta Warriors are going to be my highlight of Xi'an. An essential visit to anyone with an interest in archaeology and an awe inspiring place even for those without archaeological inclinations.


Beijing 北京

The Forbidden City must be on any China travellers bucket list and, for me, it didn't disappoint. Beautiful, rich with history and a quintessential relic of ancient China.






Comments