Skip to main content

新年快乐!Happy New Year!

新年快乐 to everyone! That's Happy New Year to the English speaking world! I can't believe it's 2015 already, and I can't believe how quickly 2014 flew by.

As far as years go 2014 was a transformative one for me. This time last year I was finishing off my TEFL course and preparations were in full swing for my 5th of February departure to start my adventure in China. If you had told me then that I'd still be in China a year later I would have called you mad, optimistic at best. And yet, here I am. Living in China, doing a job I love (most of the time), and surrounded by amazing friends that I didn't even know 6 months ago! 

I feel like I've done a lot over the last year, and actually like I've achieved a lot.
Even though coming to China wasn't all that scary for me, it's no small feat to pick up your life and move to a country you've never been to. Where you can't speak the language, you've never done the job you're starting and, in hindsight, a country you're actually very ignorant about. So making the move, and making it work, is something that I am definitely proud of.
China is a challenge at times and for all the many, many ups there have been downs. Living in a hotel for a month definitely qualifies as a down, as does battling against a 60 strong class of 7 year olds for control, and losing Jonas to two broken arms. But if they are all the down points I can think of then it's been a pretty good year. And of course, then there are the ups. The big ups, the first time I kept control of my huge classes on my own, and the small ups, learning how to ask for a beer at a bar in coherent Mandarin, are what made this year so memorable for me. There are so many memories I could talk about, and many of the best memories I've documented on this blog, but as an overarching reflection it's amazing how far I've come. From my little London bubble, to Yinchuan - via Beijing, Suzhou and an epic 8 week adventure around China, Hong Kong and Vietnam. 
I've met so many people that I would have never met had I stayed in London, I've seen so many things that have opened my eyes and I've experienced so many things that have convinced me that coming to China was the best decision I've ever made.

China is an addictive and intoxicating place and looking back over the last year it's amazing to think how much my life has changed, and to think how much it will change over the next year. Right now I know I'll be here until summer, when my contract ends, but it also doesn't seem so far fetched to imagine that I'll still be here this time next year. Maybe not on Yinchuan, maybe not doing the same thing but at the back of my mind I have this feeling that my love affair with China won't be over any time soon. 

P.S  To anyone who is thinking of making a big move in 2015, my advice would be to take a leap of faith. Even if you're jumping in the deep end almost completely blind, it's worth it. I'll never regret trying something so different, and I don't think anyone else would either. I think travelling and expanding your world view is one of the most important things you can do. These aren't memories that you can make sitting at an office desk

Skiing into 2015...

Comments