Skip to main content

2016: A year in travel

Places I've Been

A while back (along while back now) I wrote a post about 2016 and how, despite the heaps of evidence to the contrary, the year wasn't all that bad. For me 2016 was a good year, in part because of all the travels I had, and despite returning to "normal life". One of the main things I was worried about when coming home and getting a job was would I still be able to travel and explore enough to keep me happy staying in one place – at least for a little while.

In the end 2016 turned out to be a pretty good year for travel after all; I managed 7 international trips over the year, as well as two UK weekend breaks, not bad for working a full time job!
Since I am oh so behind with my blog posts I thought it fitting to give an overview of my travels even though 2017 is in full swing by now. I always intend to fill the gaps and manage to get rid of my backlog but, as is often the case, life gets in the way and before I knew it a whole new year of travel was in full swing! For now think of this as a reminiscence of all the fantastic adventures had over the last year, but just the highlights. I still hold onto hope that the full posts will come eventually!

Looking Back

Harbin (January 2016)
Harbin was a complete winter wonderland and an amazing start to the year. Sure it was cold, it actually brought a whole new meaning to the word cold, but it was worth it for all the amazing snow and ice sculptures.
Highlights: Walking across a frozen lake on Sun Island, surrounded by a snow castle and ice ship.
Holding a snow fox at the Harbin Ice and Snow Amusement World.
The giant snow Buddha that I could hardly believe was made entirely of snow.
Eating fruit on sticks covered in a case of sugar, when it so cold that the fruit has frozen rock solid just from being left outside.


Frankfurt and Laubach (March 2016)
Frankfurt was my only solo trip of the year, I loved the freedom of being able to see and do what I wanted but I also enjoyed the week I spent in the German forest meeting and constantly talking to all the interesting people there, I wish I had the free time to do a Diverbo week again!
Highlights: Walking up the many stairs to the top of the döm to get views across the city.
Sitting in the old square eating bratwurst, people watching and listening to a busker playing the flute.
Stædel Museum and being able to spend 6 hours there without worrying about boring a travel companion!
Learning all about German culture from the native speakers in Laubach.


Berlin (April 2016)
I think Berlin really is one of the coolest cities in the world and I had an absolutely fantastic long weekend there meeting up with old friends from China and exploring. One of the best things about Berlin: you can walk everywhere!
Highlights: Crazy nights out with old friends, Berlin really does have world-class nightlife.
The alternative walking tour, which took us on a street art based tour of Berlin – not your usual perspective of the city!
Potsdam and the incredible palaces and gardens of Sans Souci.


Amsterdam (April 2016)
I've wanted to go to Amsterdam for a while but always thought that it's a place you have to go to with the right people. I went with one of my oldest friends and Amsterdam didn't disappoint, even if the hostel was a little bit grotty!
Highlights: The Van Gogh museum Lates, getting to explore Van Gogh in depth with a cocktail in hand!
Food at Sama Sebo after Van Gogh Lates. Rijsttafelis a must eat in Amsterdam, the Indonesian almost tapas style meal is deilicious!
Seeing the brewing process and sampling a fair few beers at the Heineken experience.
A sobering, but fascinating visit to Anne Franks house.
Walking around the red light district at night, it's not to everybody's taste but I found it fascinating to see what legalised prostitution looked like in the real world.


Naples, Capri and Pompeii (September 2016)
After booking a week in Naples I was a little apprehensive, everyone I spoke to mentioned how much of a dump Naples was. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised and ended up having a fantastic time! Sure, Naples is a little bit rough around the edges and definitely doesn't have the charm that most of the Amalfi coast does, but it suited us just fine as a base to explore.
Highlights: Exploring Pompeii and walking through history, bringing to life school Latin classes.
The best pizza in Naples at Gino e Toto Sorbillo pizzeria with midday beers.
Relaxing like a movie star on a private boat in Capri.


Paris (September 2016)
I think Paris is on everyone's travel bucket list, I don't really know how I made it so long without visiting one of the most iconic cities in the world (no, Disneyland doesn't count). As a weekend trip this was perfect. We managed to cram everything you could want from Paris in a tiny amount of time. It just proved to whet the appetite for the next time I visit.
Highlights: Mouth-watering French cuisine in an iconic restaurant at Bouillon Chartier.
Taking cheesy, clichéd photos in front of the Eiffel Tower.
Exploring the cobbled streets of Montmartre and marvelling at the views over Paris from Sacre Cœur.


Russia (November 2016)
Russia is somewhere that I have wanted to go for a long time, its history and politics fascinate me, and since living in China the fascination has only grown. This trip was my first experience of an organised group tour, which was something that I had been entirely skeptical of in the past. As it turns out this was the perfect way to explore Russia and my tour guide, Dasha, really helped me understand that much more about Russian life and culture.
Highlights:The wooden architecture museum in Novgorod and being in awe at the feat of engineering to build an entire village solely out of wood.
St Petersburg in the snow, if you're going to do Russia you've got to do it right!
I am a sucker for an ornate palace and the beautiful St Catherine's palace definitely didn't disappoint. The golden ballroom was like something out of a Disney movie!
Banya sauna and vodka was a true Russian experience that I will never forget. There really is nothing like being hit with a bundle of leaves in a sauna!
Getting to see a ballet in Russia in a theatre which used to be the private theatre of the Russian royal family.


Copenhagen (December 2016)
This trip was my very first introduction to Scandinavia and I am obsessed, this is truly somewhere I could live and I can't wait to go back and explore in slightly warmer weather!
Highlights: The food! Oh my god, the food in Copenhagen is insane! From the best brunch I've ever had to Michelin standard fish restaurants. From tiny vegan cafes to food stalls in a warehouse. Copenhagen definitely knows how to eat well!
Wandering along the canals and admiring the pretty houses and infamous Danish style.
All the lights and magic of the Tivoli Gardens, enhanced by warming mulled wine to protect against the cold.

Comments